Wednesday 16 March 2016

Keep Calm and Stay Vigilant!

I'm loving Bangers and feel super safe and confident in my surroundings - but I suppose with anything when you get too comfortable and stop paying attention... that's when something happens!

Walking home from Yoga today, I was half asleep after an intense post-stretch relaxation, I was Facebook stalking and thinking about what to order from the local for dinner. I suddenly became uneasy and out the corner of my eye I noticed a dodgy guy. I don't like to judge - but when you see a dodgy guy you know it! Unfortunately it was a bit too late and before I knew it he was way too close (anyone who knows me knows I'm big on spacial awareness and don't like space invaders!) Anyhoo, next thing I knew his hands were all over me and he was tugging at my bag! I was flooded with a sickly feeling and screamed immediately and ran like I never knew I could! Luckily my bag was over the shoulder and and only contained water and my Yoga membership card so that would have been a pretty useless grab for him! But still... how dare he! 

After rushing home and having a massive crying session I eventually calmed down! While not a major incident (i was unharmed and still had my bag), it was to me as nothing like this has happened before. Have I become too comfortable in my environment and eye-ball attached to my phone that I'm not really aware of my surroundings anymore? I mean I'm from SA - it's in my DNA to be aware and suspicious if anyone in my vicinity!!

From now on when walking home or anywhere for that matter - phone away and eyes up... if not only for safety reasons to just notice what's going on around me, be present and take it all in.
Also thinking about taking up Muay Thai Kickboxing...hmm!

Sorry for the rather grim post but i needed to vent!

Stay safe.

Eyes up.

Do your Facebook stalking at home!

xx




No comments:

Post a Comment